DMC Sinai-Grace Hospital is DMCâ��s largest hospital, offering a comprehensive heart center, cancer care, gerontology, emergency medicine, obstetrics/gynecology and cosmetic services. Sinai-Graceâ��s joint replacement program features a revolutionary minimally invasive knee and hip replacement surgery that attracts patients from all over the country. Sinai-Grace operates more than 21 outpatient care sites and ambulatory surgery centers throughout Wayne and Oakland Counties and is one of 10 hospitals in the nation to be awarded a Robert Wood Johnson Foundation grant to help set the standards of cardiac care for hospitals and physicians throughout the nation.
Under general supervision and according to specific and detailed procedures, accurately performs specific pre-analytical and post-analytical tasks. Processes information by compiling, categorizing, calculating, tabulating, auditing, or verifying information or data with attention to detail. Interacts with patient and other health care professionals, and responds to routine inquiries. Inspects and maintains work area, instruments, and supplies. Promotes DMC values by demonstrating behaviors supportive of building a High Reliability Culture committed to Safety for Life, Health for Life, Customer Service, Community Welfare, Excellence, Respect, Integrity, Accountability, Innovation, Teamwork and Effective Resource Use.
1. Prioritizes incoming specimens; processes patient specimens in accordance with department safety and OSHA guidelines. Ensures stats and other critical tests are accurately and immediately processed. Documents specimen problems and refers to supervisor or other lead designee.
2. May draw blood samples from patients based on physicians order and in accordance with departmental safety and OSHA guidelines (e.g. utilizes protective equipment such as gloves, coats, and shields); verifies patients identification and collects insurance information.
3. Generates and attaches labels to specimen/blood samples; may perform specimen processing and aliquoting according to pre-established test requirements.
4. Ensures specimen integrity by verifying patient identification and ensures the sample submitted is appropriate given the requested test. Sorts, racks, and delivers specimens to appropriate testing laboratory.
5. Accurately enters and reviews laboratory test data in the laboratory computer system; detects and corrects errors according to laboratory policies and quality standards.
6. Communicates with patients to explain procedures and/or answers routine questions from physicians, nurses, or other appropriate healthcare professionals (e.g. date or time of drawing patientâ��s blood or gathering specimens, verifying a request, etc.)
7. Maintains a neat and clean work area; stocks storage area with supplies and inventories as necessary. Cleans glassware, equipment, and small instruments.
8. May perform transportation duties (e.g. delivers specimens and reports); time stamps or computer verifies all laboratory requests; may order tests in the system.
9. May conduct routine inspection, maintenance and quality control checks on equipment (e.g. records temperatures). Reports unusual findings timely to supervisor or lead designee.
10. May prepare the patient for and/or administer tolerance tests or other tests specific to assigned area.
11. Performs a variety of clerical duties such as answering the telephone, scheduling appointments, maintaining records, or relaying a message to the appropriate personnel.
12. Self-monitors their individual work behavior and performance to make improvements. Communicates training and development needs to management.
13. Complies with departmental safety policies and procedures and OSHA guidelines, including the use of applicable personal protective equipment.
14. Responsible to check organizational communication daily (i.e. Outlook, laboratory software, posted notices, etc.)
15. Performs other related duties as assigned.
1. High school diploma or equivalent education required.
2. Candidate must have six (6) months experience in medical training ,and/ or certification in a health care environment or related science field. (i.e. Lab Assistant, Medical Assistant, Nursing Assistant, Phlebotomist or Health Science studies.)
3. Basic studies in medical terminology or a related health science field preferred.
4. Customer service experience in a service environment preferred.
5. For Phlebotomists - Phlebotomy Certification is preferred.
Job: Laboratory and Clinical Technicians
Primary Location: Detroit, Michigan
Facility: DMC Sinai-Grace Hospital
Job Type: PT1
Shift Type: Evening
If Other Shift, Specify: 48 hours every 2 weeks, every other weekend
Shift Begin: 2:30 PMShift End: 11:00 PM
Employment practices will not be influenced or affected by an applicantâ��s or employeeâ��s race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status or any other legally protected status. Tenet will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship.
Tenet Healthcare Corporation (NYSE: THC) is a diversified healthcare services company headquartered in Dallas with 112,000 employees. Through an expansive care network that includes United Surgical Partners International, we operate 65 hospitals and approximately 510 other healthcare facilities, including surgical hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, urgent care and imaging centers and other care sites and clinics. We also operate Conifer Health Solutions, which provides revenue cycle management and value-based care services to hospitals, health systems, physician practices, employers and other clients. Across the Tenet enterprise, we are united by our mission to deliver quality, compassionate care in the communities we serve.